The English Language Institute (ELI) of Kanda University of International Studies has openings for suitably qualified lecturers of English as a foreign language. These lecturer positions are for a two-year period commencing April 2014. There may be an option to renew the contract for a further two years.
BRIEF DESCRIPTION (please see this PDF document for a full job description)
Qualifications and Experience
A Master’s Degree (or internationally recognized equivalent) in the area of teaching English as a second/foreign language, Applied Linguistics or some closely related field.
Experience in teaching English, particularly at post-secondary level would be an advantage. Experience in advising language learners and/or with developing learner autonomy would also be a plus.
A strong interest in working with Japanese students in both formal and extra-curricular settings is essential, together with an interest in Japanese language and culture.
Members of the ELI are expected to be at the university for five working days per week during academic terms, normally from 9.00 am to 5.00 pm or 10.30 am to 6.30 pm.
All lecturers are involved in the following:
1) Teaching and possibly some learning advising in each of two fifteen-week semesters per year.
2) Working in the ELI Lounge, the skills practice areas and/or the Learning Help Desk in the SALC for up to three hours per week
3) Ongoing curriculum and materials development work related to particular core courses that are taught
4) Participation as a member of one of the institute’s project teams engaging in language and literacy related research. Opportunities exist for developing research skills and publishing/presenting work
5) Participation in the ELI Professional Development Program
6) Attendance of scheduled weekly meetings and activities of the ELI and other special meetings which may be called from time to time
7) Attendance of special ceremonies and events conducted by the university including entrance exams and ceremonies, for example: the Entrance Ceremony, the Graduation Ceremony and the Open Campus Day in July
8) Participation in functions organized by the ELI including the Freshman Welcome Party and the administrations of the Kanda Assessment Project (KAP)
9) Cooperating with the Public Relations section of the university in the promotion of the university to high schools students and other interested parties
Please complete the following application form and send it as an attachment along with a covering letter by email to email@example.com by September 1st, 2013